Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Daventry Town Football Club


Town go on a goal spree

4 months ago By Brian Porter

A Kieran Fitzgerald hat trick saw Town return to winning ways at Sileby Rangers

With Ross Harris and Dan Childs out injured together with Peter Dearle and Jordon Richards playing for the Notts County u18s, it was a makeshift back four for Town. Joe Merrill started his first game whilst Ben Browne filled in at full back.

Tom McGowan started his first match since being injured last August and Jordan Orosz was named amongst the substitutes, again for the first time since breaking his ankle. Up front, Jake Bettles made his debut and Adam Creaney returned to the starting XI.

Several former Town players in the Sileby team, 45 year old keeper Darren Watts, Lewis Leslie, Scott Sandy and Alfie Taylor all played a part in last season championship team whilst Dalton Bettles played for Town in the Northern Premier League.

As the match started, so did the rain, however the pitch was in excellent condition and showed no signs of standing water.

Town’s pace in attack was evident right from the start. An early free kick gave Town their first chance as Dan Bendon rose highest to head just wide of the upright on 5 minutes.
Town went ahead in the 8th minute when Jake Bettles turn in the box was too quick for his namesake who took his legs away. The referee showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot. ROBBIE PARSONS converted to put Town one up.

Despite the weather the match was played at high tempo and Sileby were not deflated by the early goal.

Phil Cassidy tried his luck on 15 but his shot was deflected wide.

ROBBIE PARSONS put Town 2 up on 22 when he fired home from the edge of the area.

Two minutes later and it was 3 0 when an inch perfect pass for Adam Creaney split the Sileby defence and JAKE BETTLES slotted the ball past Darren Watts and in off the post.

The Town attack oozed class. The pace, the passing, the movement and skilful touches were all there, this was Town’s best performance this season so far. Even on the bench Town had 4 attackers out of the 5 subs so it would be relentless for the hosts all evening.

KIERAN FITZGERALD got his first goal after 33 minutes. Adam Creaney’s free kick from the right wasn’t cleared by the Sileby defence and the South African turned sharply and fired home on the turn.

It was 5 just two minutes later was Adam Creaney tried his luck from outside the box. Darren Watts got down well but could not hold it as the ball zipped off the surface and FITZGERALD reacted fasted to tap home form his second and Town’s 5th.

Nathan Ansu pulled a goal back for Sileby as Town took their foot off the gas just before halftime.


One minute after the restart and Sileby pulled a second goal back. Scott Sandy just beat Ant O’Connor to a pass just out the box and the ball fell kindly for the young striker who tapped the ball into the empty net.

Town then continued their pressure on the Sileby back four. It was too much for former Town trialist Colum Nugent who picked up a yellow after bringing down Bettles.

The home defence might have breathed a sigh of relief when Parsons and Bettles were taken off on the hour, only to be replaced by equally pacey Sam Jackson and Jake Dumbleton.

Sam Jackson’s direct play led to the 6th Town goal as he passed the right back with ease and his fierce cross was forced home by the chest of PHIL CASSIDY for his fourth of the season.

Tom McGowan came off on 76 minutes and was replaced by Jordan Orosz making his first appearance since breaking his ankle back in March v S & L Corby.

Sileby pulled back another goal when Scott Sandy found space in the box.

Town continued to make chances with Jake Dumbleton going close but the ball he bent around Watt just did not bend enough found space in front of goal.

The goal of the game came in the 87th minute when ADAM CREANEY smashed an unstoppable drive from 25 yards which was a goal from the second it left his boot. Pure quality.

There was still time for KIERAN FITZGERALD to grab Town’s 8th goal and his hat trick after Sam Jackson’s shot was blocked by Darren Watts and Fitzgerald smashed the ball into the roof of the net.


Updated 22:37 - 4 Oct 2017 by Brian Porter

Where next?

10 man Town win 5 goal thriller 3 quality finishes, 2 from Kieran Fitzgerald and a stunning free kick from Adam Creaney ended Eynesbury Rovers 100% start to the season.
Daventry Town 4 Wellingborough Whitworth 0 Jake Dumbleton scores twice as Town move joint top.


Loading comments

Sat 20 Jan
1st Team Holbeach United
League 15:00
Sat 27 Jan
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors