Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Daventry Town Football Club


Daventry Town 0 Desborough Town 1

4 months ago By Brian Porter

Town suffered their first home league defeat in almost 18 months as a single first half strike saw the visitors leave with all 3 points.

Town made three changes to the starting line up because of injuries picked up in the 1 0 Cup defeat to Worcester City. Matt Finlay was signed during the day to replace Anthony O’Connor in goal and Craig Robinson and Rico Alexander came in for Adam Creaney and Dean Lukeman. Some good news on tenacious full back came as a scan showed his knee injury was not as bad as first feared and Lukeman should be back playing again in a month. Town made two further signing this week and both started on the bench.

Midfielder Robbie Parsons came in along with Dan Bendon who returned after impressing last season.

Town went close in the 7th minute when a cross found Robinson unmarked. The strikes header looped over the stranded Chris Jones but fell on top of the bar and behind the goal.

A succession of free kicks were won by Town however the visitors defence was well organised and stood firm.

Town had the best of the possession but only created half chances which fell to Childs, Alexander and Fitzgerald.

Desborough Town came more into the game in the later part of the half and only a good save from Finlay turning Turners shot around post prevented the visitors taking the lead.

Just one minute later and Desborough took the lead. A free kick 25 yards out was well taken by Jason Turner and the ball stuck the underside of the crossbar and Liam Boath reacted first to tap the ball home from 1 yard out.

John Dean nearly makes it two as he went through but his shot curled just high and wide of the goal.

There was controversy right just before halftime as Town pushed for an equaliser. As the ball ricocheted around the 6 yard box and the ball appeared to strike the hand of the defender before Adam Confue’s shot appeared to cross the goal line however the assistant said the whole ball didn't go over the line.

HT: Daventry Town 0 Desborough 1

The second half carried on pretty much the same as the first.

Matt Finlay made two or three good saves from John Dean whilst Town huffed and puffed at the other end.

Robbie Parsons came off the bench and went agonisingly close on 68 minutes. His shot into the ground bounced just wide of the left hand upright with Jones looking on helplessly.

At the other end a Desborough cross came off the top of the bar and fell to safety.

After 5 minutes of added time, the referee called time and Town’s season opened with a home defeat against last season’s fourth placed team.

FT: Daventry Town 0 Desborough 1 Attendance 73

Town: Finlay, Childs, Alexander, Harris, Dearle, Fitzgerald (Gilligan 85), Confue, Robinson, Emery (Parsons 60) Webb (Jackson 65). Subs not used: Bendon and Esuruoso

Updated 22:38 - 13 Aug 2017 by Brian Porter

Where next?

DAVENTRY TOWN 2 ROTHWELL CORINTHIANS 1 Phil Cassidy’s 34th minute penalty secured Town's first points of the season in a hard-fought victory.
Town bow out of FA Cup in narrow defeat This keenly fought encounter was settled by a first half Dave Reynolds header.


Loading comments

Sat 23 Dec
1st Team Cogenhoe United
League 15:00
Tue 26 Dec
League 15:00
Sat 30 Dec
1st Team Deeping Rangers
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors